If there's one particular talent I have, it's making a short story long. So, here's how I nearly burned down the house twice this evening.
To start, Bean had shots yesterday. And apparently they didn't sit well with him today. If you have a squeamish stomach, you may want to skip to the next part. Unfortunately, with this round of shots, he had a restless night last night, requiring a few doses of Tylenol. This afternoon he got really lethargic, and then, right after Bear got home, started throwing up all over. After throwing up for about an hour, Bean finally fell into a deep sleep for a few hours. He woke up his bright-eyed self again. Shortly after, we decided to give him a bath. Something smelled funny, and I realized what it was as I was taking off his diaper. To call it foul-smelling is like calling sewage, rosewater. It was like a mixture of vomit and rotten yogurt. I gave him a good wipe-down before handing him over to Bear.
Bean's diaper pail reeked something beyond reeking, and we keep it, along with his changing table, in our room. So as soon as Bear had Bean in the bath, I threw all his diapers from today in the wash. The room still smelled.
I had a bright idea. Light a candle.
I chose the closest candle, an aromatherapy one from Bath and Body Works. This candle has to be at least 5 years old, if not older. Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure it has essential oils in it.
Shortly after lighting it, I realized that the wick was far too long, as the flames were leaping out of the small glass container. I had cleared around it on the dresser... not. It was a miracle something else hadn't caught fire. I tried blowing it out, but it was too strong. Almost catching the house on fire once: done.
First thought to put it out - douse it in water! I had filled up my water glass for the night shortly before, so I grabbed that and began to pour water into the candle glass.
That's the sound of thick glass breaking into several large chunks. The flames continued, but because I had tried to put out an oil flame with water, it was sputtering little blue sparks everywhere, and without the protection of a short glass wall. Nearly burning down the house a second time: done.
Thankfully, I was able to blow it out once the glass broke. Also, I thought it through this time, and instead of trying to clean it up right away, I let the glass chunks cool before getting the big pieces and vacuuming the floor.
Moral of the story: don't pour ice water onto a leaping-flamed candle? Don't light a candle to cover the stink of a dirty diaper? Something completely different? I'm not sure, you decide.
Tonight, I'm just glad I didn't burn the house down.
Mama Bear of one Baby Bear, Bean, who both love Papa Bear, and live in a crafty, gluten-free cozy den.